Co Antrim Garden, Northern Ireland

This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg & flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create an outdoor personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre of wild meadows.







This site has been moved to http://kelliboylesgarden.blogspot.com





Thursday 19 August 2010

Spring Onion (Chives)

These Spring Onions are perrenial as they come up evey year. Not sure if they can be eaten (I imagine) however I generally use them for colour and to deter pests from other plants.... love the flower heads (which can also be eaten). This year I grew Spring Onion White Lisbon for eating (they are delicious) which I've planted in the ground and in containers. They grow better and faster in containers (probably as my ground isn't the most fertile).

This picture was taken in June; pictured left of the spring onion are sunflowers and left again, potatoes - all grown a bit too close together but I still got results. (see 11 August blog for how much the sunflowers grew in 2 months).

1 comment:

  1. very nice pictures you have a wonderful eye for capturing the beauty in things. Those onions look to me to be Onion Chives and you can eat the hole thing but most people just eat there tops. They like to be transplanted every 4 to 5 years. You have a very nice garden. I love it.

    ReplyDelete